Tuesday, March 16, 2010

BEFORE SAUCERS COULD FLY

the above photo is the closest I could come to representing what the dessert looked like with out taking a photo myself.

Does anyone know the origins of COFFEE BREAD DESERT? Before there was flying saucers my grandparents had lots of uses for sauce plates. First of all was uncder the coffee cup but my grandparents didn't use them this way. They poured their coffee into the saucer and sipped the coffee from there. The best use that I liked was what my family called coffee bread and it was simply a slice of bread on the saucer and brown sugar sprinkled on top and then coffee poured on top. I still do this at restaurants to the horror of my wife and waitress. It's less calories then regular deserts. I sprinkle on Splenda instead of sugar of course. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS CLASSIC DESSERT?


No comments: