Saturday, August 8, 2009

FAMILY PRIDE


July 23 my grandson Vincent Tozzolo graduated from the U.S. Army Boot Camp at Fort Benning in Columbus, GA. My wife Jan and I drove up and stayed overnight to see the event. My daughter-in-law Mary Bloom and her children Richard, Julia and Olivia also made the trip and of course Vinny's parents and two sisters. So in all I had half of my grandchildren in one place which was great.

Vinny has really made this family proud, not just for joining the Army, but for the decisions he has made to take control of his life and set goals. I won't go into all the details but he made the choice to go back to school and get his HS diploma and then decided to join the Army to get the training and more education that will give him a good career. These are not easy decisions for a young man. Making such a commitment shows character that is missing in a lot of men today. I really don't know how to explain it but maybe you all know what I'm talking about.

Aside from the pride of seeing Vinny graduate and set off on his path to success I also got a sense from seeing all those fine young men that were also choosing to serve their country. If you watch the news today and hear some of the comments about our service men you may get the impression that not every things is well with our country. Well if you get the chance to wittiness a graduation ceremony or visit a military base you will come back with the impression that "All is Well" and our young men are just as brave, true and loyal as ever. I know because my grandson is one of them.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

No comments: